Upcoming Matches & Training Sessions


The blues had to dig deep to come from behind to defeat a much improved Cheetham Hill side at Hillock. Isaac got the winning goal late on as the blues fought back from 3-2 down to win 4-3.

Hillock resembled those crop circles from the 90’s where everyone thought aliens had landed on earth only to realise that it was farmers getting arty with their fields. Only three pitches were cut and luckily ours was one of them and we had the bonus of not having to rake away the cuttings this week.

Gabriel was the latest victim of the spring flu but he crawled off his sick bed to make the match, Teddy was away on his holidays so we had six players. Corey lined up in goal with Lucas at the back, Jacob on the left, Isaac on the right and Marcus up front.

We’d beaten Cheetham hill quite convincingly earlier in the season and it looked like we’d do the same as the boys produced wave after wave of attack but couldn’t find a way through, until Marcus finally got the goal their play deserved. Jacob had a strong shout for a penalty, which I gave, but I was informed by a parent from Cheetham Hill that it shouldn’t have been a spot kick (he would say that) so in the interest of fair play I changed my mind.

Corey was a virtual bystander in net as his team were in total control. In the second quarter Southy went in goal with Jacob moving to defence. Marcus came off for Gabriel as Corey and Isaac stayed in midfield. After all the good work in the first ten minutes I don’t think anyone thought that the blues would find themselves level at half time. The boys passed up a lot of chances to increase the lead and would come to regret their profligate finishing. Jacob had the stand out moment in that period, winning the ball in his own half before going on a mazy run which would have ended with a goal if it hadn’t of been for some brave goalkeeping by the Cheetham Hill stopper. The visitors had been growing in confidence though and equalized just before half time.

At the break Pat and I asked for more effort and a lot more passing as the we knew the boys could play a lot better. Unfortunately, we got the opposite as we had a pretty poor ten minutes from the boys. Cheetham Hill took the lead as Lucas got caught out at the back. To be fair to him though he did make amends as he sidestepped one of their players before playing a lovely through ball to Marcus who grabbed his second goal of the game. Cheetham Hill though didn’t crumble in fact they got better and deservedly led 3-2 going into the last ten and without Jacob making a string of fine saves it could’ve been worse.

Finally, the boys started playing like we know they can as the game entered the last quarter. Firstly, Lucas, who’d moved into midfield, hit an absolute thronker into the top corner to make it 3-3 before Isaac got a great winner. Master Wride won the ball back in his own half before dribbling into the Cheetham Hill area. One of their defenders tried to push him off the ball but he did ever so well to hold him off before putting the ball into the corner, much to everyone’s relief.

It finished 4-3 and the boys showed great character to come back from a losing position. Jacob was the opposition managers MOTM and we had to agree. Cheetham Hill have shown us how much other teams are getting better and our boys are going to have to to continue to work hard to stay ahead of the improving field.


Written By Alex South